Energy efficiency refers to doing more with less energy. The benefits are many; it saves the environment by cutting down on pollution, it improves the economy by making businesses and governments save on a bigger scale, it saves you money by the reducing the overall cost you incurred on fuel yearly, it enhances the quality of life. When purchasing a car, it is advisable to consider fuel-efficient or alternative fuel vehicles. Finding the most fuel efficient vehicle that exactly fits your lifestyle can be a challenge, here are ten tips to guide you through;
1. Analyze and understand your needs – what are you going to use the car for? A smaller hybrid is suitable if you are only driving in cities because it covers more mileage with less fuel. If you have a larger family, you might consider more options that are energy efficient but within your budget.
2. Internet research – compare online; many car sites offer comparison tools that let you check out several vehicles side by side and compare features. Use this to find out the best fuel efficient vehicle before heading to the dealer.
3. Consider a hybrid – hybrid vehicles are an obvious choice when it comes to big savings at the petrol station. They are often overclocked but offer proven reliability and come in a range of types you can choose from. Initial costs of purchasing may be high, but the savings at the station are worth it.
4. Choosing a right-sized engine – a smaller engine results in greater fuel savings in most cases. Selecting a four-cylinder vehicle promises maximum fuel efficiency as compared to choosing an eight-cylinder. You don’t need a higher amount of horsepower if you are only commuting to work. If you are a sportsman doing racing you might want greater horsepower.
5. Consider buying diesel vehicles – diesel vehicles use higher compression rates and combustion temperatures as compared to their gasoline counterparts; hence, they operate more efficiently. Same amount of diesel contains 10% more energy than gasoline.
6. Buy a newer car model – manufacturers improve vehicle efficiency as years pass due to advancing technology. Vehicle’s mileage has improved considerably. Compare new to used cars on energy efficiency before making a decision.
7. Choose a right-sized vehicle – you understand how you will use your car after a personal assessment, whether for family, group movements or just you alone. Size matters when it comes to fuel efficiency. A bigger vehicle weighs more than a smaller one; and the heavier the car, the more power required to operate and hence more fuel. Choosing the right size helps you save on fuel.
8. Research on the Miles-Per-Gallon of specific models – understanding how many gallons various vehicles consume per mile will help you decide what to choose before entering the showroom.
9. Consider buying flexible fuel vehicles – some vehicles can run on E85, that is, 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, and other ethanol and gasoline blends. Find out which vehicles are flexible fuel before buying.
10. Consider buying highly efficient vehicles – plug-in electric, fuel-efficient, hybrid electric or other alternative fuel cars could cut your fuel costs considerably and help conserve the environment.